The Lakelands Association of REALTORS® gives back to local communities
December 20, 2018
Huntsville, ON – The Lakelands Association of REALTORS® continued their annual tradition of supporting local charities, donating a total of $18,000 to regional not-for-profit organizations. The initiative is part of the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation (ORCF). Incorporated to the Ontario Real Estate Association in 1977, the foundation has been doing its part to support shelter and shelter-related organizations.
Since mid-December, representatives from the Lakelands Association travelled on behalf of the foundation to present cheques to the following organizations:
• The Burk’s Falls District Food Bank ($3000).
• The Alzheimer Society of Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland & Haliburton ($3000) and Cottage Dreams ($1500). Cottage Dreams supports families touched by cancer, providing an opportunity for them to reconnect and rejuvenate at a private, donated cottage.
• The Child Advocacy Centre of Simcoe/Muskoka ($1500), a child-friendly centre in which multidisciplinary professionals provide services to children and youth who have experienced abuse.
• Couchiching Jubilee House ($1500), an organization committed to empowering women to improve their quality of life through a program of individualized support and transitional housing.
• West Muskoka Food Bank ($1500)
• Esprit Place Family Resource Centre ($3000) is a ten-bed emergency shelter for women and children, serving the District of Parry Sound since 1986. They provide safe and secure residential accommodation twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
• Baysville Winter Pantry ($1500) provides food support services during the winter months for people who live in the Baysville and Dorset areas.
• Muskoka Women’s Advocacy Group ($1500) operates two, 24-hour anti-violence crisis shelters for abused women and their children. Muskoka Interval House is located in Bracebridge, Ontario and Chrysalis in Huntsville, Ontario. Chrysalis also offers supportive transitional housing units for vulnerable women.
“We feel deeply entrenched in the communities we represent,” says Wendy Webb, President of The Lakelands Association of REALTORS®. “We see giving back to those in need as a vital component of who we are as an organization as it highlights the meaningful local support of our REALTOR® members.”
The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation (ORCF) is supported by monthly donations by local REALTORS® to benefit community shelter-based organizations. The Lakelands Association has contributed $18,000 annually through The Foundation accumulating roughly to date $160,000 in grant funding across Parry Sound, Muskoka, Haliburton & Orillia. Shelter is defined as a refuge, haven or protection that provides or improves quality of life from hunger, the elements, physical/psychological abuse, disabilities and illness.
Crystal Henderson, Executive Director
(705) 788-1544 ext. 222
Kelly Warr, Operations Manager
(705) 788-1544 ext. 229