The Lakelands Grants Given Just in Time for Christmas
Muskoka – The Lakelands members will visit six local charities to donate over seventeen thousand dollars across Muskoka, Orillia, and Haliburton this holiday season. Five cheques of $3,264 will be presented to each organization, and a sixth cheque of $1,280 is donated to Cottage Dreams annually. Those eligible to receive a grant must be a community shelter-based charity, operating in our region and meet all application criteria—submitted to the Association by the first of September.
“We are truly honoured to receive a grant this year,” said The Sharing Place Food Bank, Executive Director, Chris Peacock. “This grant helps us fund our Christmas Hamper program that we distribute to over 800 people this holiday season.”
2017 Grant Recipients:
- The Sharing Place Food Bank, Orillia: provides nutritious food for three to five days once a month.
- Muskoka Interval House, Bracebridge: provides shelter and resources for women and children.
- Huntsville Hospice, Huntsville: provides care and support to individuals in the Huntsville area who are facing end of life situations.
- Cottage Dreams, Haliburton: provides rental cottages for families to enjoy following cancer treatment.
- Alzheimer Society of Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland and Haliburton: dedicated to improving the quality of life for those living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and advancing the search for the cause and cure.
- Burk’s Falls & District Food Bank: covering seven districts it provides food and resources for those in need.
“These organizations provide invaluable services to those in their greatest times of need,” said The Lakelands, President, Mike Stahls. “Our members are only too happy to support those on the front lines, and to be an integral part of our communities.”
Local Realtors are committed to improving Quality of Life by supporting community initiatives ensuring economic vitality, housing opportunities and safe neighbourhoods. The contributions by Lakelands members through the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation are important to the communities we live in as they boost the ability for these organizations to support residents.
For further details about the Grant Application https://thelakelands.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FDN-Grant-application-2017.pdf
Like us on Facebook @TheLakelandsAssociation
The Sharing Place is a non-profit organization that provides food, food education and food policy work for our community. We work collaboratively with partners to help remove the barriers to accessing nutritious, affordable food. Our services range from school breakfast and snack programs, community cooking classes, gardening programs to providing a five-day emergency supply of food to those in need. In 2017 The Sharing Place served or taught over 17,000 children and adults while developing food policy and school programs for future generations.